Many people like to dress up in their own unique way. For some, that includes mouth jewelry. Mouth jewelry is trendy, especially among young adults as a form of expression or just for fun. However, the long-term damage mouth jewelry create is often overlooked, which is why our dentist, Dr. Obiora E. Nkwonta with Lake City Way Dental Center in Seattle, Washington, encourages you to think about your oral health.
These are some ways mouth jewelry can harm your smile:
– Mouth jewelry has been known to cause oral inflammation which could potentially close off your airway.
– If any pieces of mouth jewelry should ever break off in your mouth, they will pose immediate choking hazards.
– To avoid the risk of gum tissue laceration, avoid mouth jewelry.
– If your mouth jewelry consists of hard metals or plastics, they can easily fracture or chip your teeth.
– Some patients have experienced allergic reactions due to the presence of mouth jewelry.
– It is possible that when tongue rings are placed, they could sever nerves and cause permanent nerve damage. They could also damage blood vessels in the tongue.
– Mouth jewelry has also been known to cause infections.
Mouth jewelry may be a fun addition to your smile, but before you decide to add it, consider the dangers it can pose to your oral health. If you have questions about your smile or need help with any damage that may have occurred to your teeth or mouth, please call us at 206.363.1828 to make an appointment. Our dental team is always happy to improve your oral health and help keep your smile healthy.